Massive shoulders let the whole world know that you’re serious about lifting weights. Whether in a tank top or going shirtless, huge, round delts are an impressive sight to all. If you’re one of those individuals whose shoulder growth has come to a standstill, the following is one of my best shoulder workouts, and may help to blast your delts into new growth.
At first glance, this shoulder workout may not seem like much, but trust me, it will bombard your delts and force the muscle fibers into growing. I have personally experienced the effects of this routine and it truly is one of my best shoulder workouts. If you’re not struggling to finish this routine, you didn’t push yourself hard enough. As always, a proper warm-up is essential to avoid injuries. Be sure to stretch and loosen your shoulder joints up significantly, as the rotator cuff and shoulder joint are notorious for sports injuries.Seated Dumbbell Press
- You will be using 4 sets of dumbbells – I use a 10 pound increase between dumbbell sets.
- Start with the lightest set of dumbbells, and work your way up to the heaviest set. Do 8 reps with each set of dumbbells. DO NOT REST BETWEEN SETS OF DUMBBELLS!
- Rest for 2 minutes and then do the following:Start with the heaviest set of dumbbells, and work your way down to the lightest set. Do 8 reps with each set of dumbbells. DO NOT REST BETWEEN SETS OF DUMBBELLS!
- Rest for 2 minutes and do the following:Start with the lightest set of dumbbells, and work your way up to the heaviest set. Perform 6 reps with each set of dumbbells. DO NOT REST BETWEEN SETS OF DUMBBELLS!
- Rest for 2 minutes and do the following:Start with the heaviest set of dumbbells, and work your way down to the lightest set. Do 6 reps with each set of dumbbells. DO NOT REST BETWEEN SETS OF DUMBBELLS!After doing these 4 giant sets, you will need to train your rear deltoids and traps.
- For rear delts, I would do bent over barbell rows.
- To do these, bend over at the waist to a 90 degree angle, and bring the barbell up to your nose. Do 3 sets of 8 reps.
- For traps, I like doing upright rows.
- Start by holding an EZ curl bar at your waist, and slowly bring it up to your chin (almost like you’re dragging it up your body). Do 3 sets of 10 reps.I also recommend isolating your front delts as well.
- Hold a 45 pound plate at your waist with both hands. Slowly raise it up, with your arms straight, until your hands just pass eye level. Return to the starting position. Do 3 sets of 10 reps.
Again, this is one of the best shoulder workouts I have done and continue to do. Try this plan for about 6 weeks. It should help to stimulate some new growth into lagging deltoids and turn your shoulders into boulders.Tim Mielke
Author and Supplement Expert
Tim Mielke has been involved in the supplement industry for over 15 years. As a former competitive body builder and personal trainer, Tim has extensive first-hand knowledge of the benefits and pitfalls of fitness supplementation. Knowledge so extensive that his book, “The Book of Supplement Secrets: A Beginners Guide to Nutritional Supplements,” was recently published and is currently available through Amazon.com. Tim brings this supplement and bodybuilding know-how to www.i-supplements.com as a contributing author and researcher.