Home of the Costas MuscleSandwich.
Gus and Mary Costas started Costas Candy Co., in 1922 in Palo Alto. Candy making in those days meant very long hours, because everything was done by hand, and without the convenience of refrigeration and air conditioning. Most of the selling was at Farmers Markets throughout the county and fund raising organizations.
In 1966, Costas Candy Company became a subsidiary of York Barbell Company, Inc. York, PA, focusing on the manufacturing of Energy Bars, Fiber bars and Low Carb bars for private label companies. Costas-York Candy Company continued to produce the Costas Club Sandwich bars that sold throughout the county. Boxes of our famous Club Sandwiches were shipped to people all over the United States. With this increased production and quality control, additional equipment was purchased and the ordering of materials and supplies became quite a task. A 50,000-pound liquid coating tank, high-speed wrapping machine and an extruder were all installed to produce in mass quantities. High volumes of materials are needed weekly to run smooth operation of quality candy, such as 10,000 pounds of peanut butter and thousands of pounds of chocolate coating and other materials.
Robert Stahl purchased Costas York Candy Co. on February 14th. 2003 and re-established the company as Costas Foods, Inc. The company employs men and women, who have been making Costas’ candies for many years and take great pride in their excellent work. Costas Foods, Inc. is committed to the continued growth of the Classic Costas brands as well as introducing new Costas Candies in the future. Custom manufacturing always has been and continues to be a key component in the strategic direction of Costas Foods, Inc.